Mason Jar Lunches
Mason jar lunches are still very much a thing and to be honest, I don’t see them going away anytime soon. In fact, I think they’re here to stay and I for one, am super excited! I love packing my mason jar lunches on Sunday and having them lined up in my fridge. Sure, it takes some time, but if you’re already a meal prepper then it’s all just the same, but cuter. Much cuter.
One of my favourite things to pack in my mason jar lunches is a good salad. This one is easy as 1-2-3 and super delicious – both visually and literally. I think I had a few coworkers ask me what was in my beautiful lunch!
The key to making a good mason jar salad without it getting soggy is by putting your dressing on the bottom, and then filling it with something hearty – think beans. Your top layer should be the lettuce and cheese so that it doesn’t get soggy and gross before you even get to work.
Here’s my little recipe on a salad I love to eat and would eat every single day, happily.
What you need:
- 1 can of black beans
- 1 can of corn kernels
- 1 cup of rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 1 cup of pico de gallo (or chopped up red onions, tomatoes, cilantro tossed in lime, salt and pepper)
- 1 cup of chopped cucumbers
- 2 cups of lettuce
- As much cheese as your heart desires
- One avocado
- ½ cup of Greek yogurt
- A dash of salt, pepper, chipotle powder
- 4 mason jars (Friday is cheat day, people)
What you do:
- Peel the avocado, chop it up and toss it in the blender with the Greek yogurt and a dash of salt, pepper and chipotle powder. Once blended, pour a tablespoon (or a little more) into the bottom of each of your 500 ML mason jars.
- Layer the salad like so: ¼ can of black beans, ¼ can of corn kernels, ¼ cup of pico de gallo, ¼ cup of chopped cucumbers, ¼ cup of rotisserie chicken, some lettuce and then cheese. These measurements are totally up to you. If you like a lot of corn, then add more corn and less beans. You can alter it to fit your needs.
- Close all the mason jars and they can last in your fridge until Thursday!
What are some of your easy lunch ideas?